Spoken Word is poetry that is meant to be performed in front of an audience. Spoken word includes story telling, poems, monologues, slam poetry, rap and stand-up comedy. Listed below are 5 tips on Spoken Word from PowerPoetry.org. Hopefully this information provides you with some insight on Spoken Word and ,possibly, encourages you to participate in one of our Spoken Word events.
1. Choose a subject and have an attitude. Attitude is required to embody the piece so that one's feelings can be translated to an audience.
2. Pick your Poetic Devices. Consider your poetic elements; Rhyming, Repetition, Melody, etc. Which best suits your piece?
3. Performance. Consider the performance of your piece; practice builds confidence...remember eye contact, gestures, expressions, etc.
4. Memorization. Memorizing your piece helps to embody and connect with the piece.
5. Power Poetry. Once you have mastered your piece, share your craft. There are many ways to publicize your performance such as uploading to Facebook or Instagram or simply, starting a YouTube channel.
Coop's Den hosts an Open Mic Poetry Night every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month and features a variety of dynamic performers. We'd like to see you there. If you are interested in performing or have any questions about Spoken Word, please contact Evie Wells at email@example.com.
Your Email/URL (Optional):
Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.